Finding Hobbies: Jewelry

A few years ago my incredibly talented and creative sister-in-law, Karrie, brought me into a jewelry studio and showed me a few basic things with metal. Some hammering and texturizing, forming the metal into a desired shape, explaining to me what the "pickle" was. Very basic things. That was the first time I had a look into the world of jewelry making.

On a trip to the local library I stopped to look at the bulletin board that was cluttered with papers of all colors. Stacked below this board was a pile of catalogues, much like the ones I've seen before for the Sharon Arts Center School. I flipped through the pages and saw that they offered classes in pretty much anything...Seriously. Everything from Glass Fusing, to Simple Home Repairs, to the ABC's of Investing, and everything in-between. It was a catalog for the Brookine Adult & Community Education.

Now, if you know me at all you would know that I brought that book home and had every class in there circled and starred. I wanted to do it all! (And still do) I saw they offered Jewelry and Metalsmithing 101, it was perfect. The price was still a little steep, but after doing some research on similar classes, it was the least expensive. You know what? Fuck it,  Im gunna just do it.  If I can find the money somehow to go out drinking with friends or spend it on over priced dirty chai lattes, I could find the money to pay for an awesome class that would enrich my life.

It was my first time signing up for a class that wasn't part of some sort of degree program. It was a class for a hobby. Something I was doing purely to enrich my life. No pressure of learning something to turn it into a career. I just wanted to learn and have fun with it.

My first class was probably great. I wouldn't know because I lost my phone that day and couldn't figure out how to get there. I even looked up directions online. Useless. I drove into Harvard Square and immediately was stuck in traffic. GET ME OUTTA THIS MESS!!!! Then, of course, I went the wrong way..and then there was a detour, and then I had no idea where I was going or exactly where I was. I thought " If, by the grace of god, I do make it to my destination (most likely 15-20 min late) how on earth will I even get back home? In the dark..."

Luckily the traffic was so slow that I had time to look around for familiar signs and tried to circle back in the direction I was coming from. On the plus side I discovered where Central Square was and some other places that I knew about but didn't know where they were located.

How could anyone navigate across this city without the little digital voice that tells them where to go? I literally was only trying to drive about 4 miles and I got lost in about 1.5.

I was able to make it to my second class with no problem (thanks GPS) and was also able to make up my missed class.

Here are some of the things I made:

 The earrings are made of brass that was put through a roller machine with a piece of screening to leave an impression. The roller machine also gave these pieces a really cool shape.

I brushed on a chemical called patina and that creates a reaction that turns the metal a blackish, grey-blue, color. When I sanded the earrings the smooth surfaces were cleaned while the imprint left by the screen stayed the darkened color.

The jump rings (the little rings that connect the earring to the earring hook) and the earring hooks are made of copper and the bead is turquoise.  I was so proud when these were finished! They looked like something I would buy at a fine arts craft fair!



My vision for this pendent completely evolved as I started making it. The main piece is made of copper and the jump rings and dangling fringe-like pieces are brass. The chain is just a sweet golden chain I borrowed from my mom and never gave back hehehe (Thanks Mom :-)).

The brass pieces I cut out with a jewelers saw and cut into a little around the edges. I used a small file to texture and facet the edges and I used a heavier grit to sand the surfaces to get a smooth but scratch  finish.

The copper piece was rolled through the roller mill to created the interesting shape and texture. When I soldered the bale's on the back (used to thread the chain through) the torch oxidized the copper creating this fantastic coloring! I told my instructor that I LOVED it and he said " You can keep it!". So we put turtle wax, yes the kind your Dad used to wax his car with, all over it to preserve.

I really enjoyed coming up with a concept and style for my jewelry. I wanted to make things that looked like they could have been made thousands of years ago but still modern. I loved the way the copper part of the pendant took on a shape and texture that reminded me of leather.

So, I'm glad I sucked it up and spent my money on this class. It feels really good to be doing something with my free time that is creative and I feel that I am good at. I'll share more work as I continue making new things!






Comments

  1. Love that necklace and it looks like something someone would have bought in downtown pboro for like $85

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts