Improvising With a 4 Year Old

When I was in high school my friends and I would get together and make movies. Nothing crazy, just fun stuff.  We would dress our friend Joe up like Oprah, complete with hair and makeup and have him interview us. We called him Joprah and thought it was hilarious. I was a reoccurring character named Bubooshka. An outspoken Russian woman with a thick accent and lots of advice, and lipliner, and blush... Any school project I was assigned I wanted to submit in movie form. I traveled with the XC team throughout their season and made a movie for them to look back on. You get the picture. 

I would record everything using the video camera my Dad let me borrow. I'd take the footage home and spend hours editing. I LOVED it. Cutting right at the perfect moment. Inserting music to set the tone.  Etc., Etc.

For some reason I never stuck with it once I was in college. I guess I was just preoccupied experiencing new things. Nothing productive or creative at all. But that's a whole other blog post.

Last August my 4 year old cousin, Maya, and I made a short film. Hanging out on the porch playing with toys that my siblings and I played with when we were her age and inspiration struck. "Alright Maya, grab your favorite little people. Lets make a movie." We hit the lawn and started improving as I recorded with my iphone.  A little editing later and this is what we got. Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts