Ignorance is bliss but KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

chrys·a·lis
ˈkrisələs/
noun
  1. a quiescent insect pupa, especially of a butterfly or moth.
    • the hard outer case of this, especially after being discarded.
    • a preparatory or transitional state.
      "she emerged from the chrysalis of self-conscious adolescence"


The title of my blog represents the idea of growth and change. When I initially started this blog it was fueled by the personal changes in my life. Ending a 5 year relationship, leaving the comfort of friends and family to experience life in a city, figuring out what it means to be a 20-something woman in this world, etc. While the latter is still a work in progress it's lead me to a new chrysalis. The chrysalis of social norms that we just accept without questioning. Specifically those that are detrimental to our environment. 

Let me start by saying I have always considered myself an environmental advocate. But it wasn't until my need for community/using my free time for something good drove me to volunteering at a local non profit for marine conservation. Being part of something bigger than you that has a greater purpose is empowering. So that, cocktailed with the recent election and massive mobilization of protesters and activists, and a pinch of binge watching Adam Ruins Everything, is how I decided to spend more of my time speaking about issues that I think are important. Whether it's annoying my coworkers about how they shouldn't automatically put straws in customers drinks or if I'm making a social media post, or if I simply drop bits of knowledge onto the unsuspecting ears of a person I've just met. 


I want to be more of an activist than an advocate. I want to work to actually make a real difference--calling out businesses, corporations, and representatives. Demanding that they take responsibility for their impact and that they use their power to make big changes and to do what is good and right. If there is change at those levels, that's when we will see change all over. 


I call on you to do the same. And I realize, from personal experience, that it's not really that easy to be the person who questions, the person who stands up for something that they know is right but goes against what people have become accustomed to. You will be teased, mocked, and definitely ignored. Because, let's be honest, ignorance is bliss, and when you talk to people about reality and you take that bliss away, they get kinda pissed. But rest assured be it big or small, in some way, you will make change. You will inspire, and you will teach and motivate. Just as I was inspired and motivated by the strong activists throughout history and of today. Ignorance may be bliss but KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! 

Take the time to learn the facts about what is important to you. Talk to friends, family, and your community about these important issues. THEN...(and this is a reeeeeal critical part) talk to the people with the POWER about these issues. State representatives, big (and medium and small) businesses and corporations need hear our voice. Not just your friends on Facebook or Twitter. 

Now go! (But also please come back) Break through that chrysalis!

Comments

Popular Posts